The first accordion is believed to have been produced by the Chinese Cheng in around 3000 B.C. However, it was only in the 18th century that it was brought to Europe. According to popular belief, these traditional accordions resembled the phoenix and also consisted of several bamboo pipes and a mouth piece. The resonator box appeared like a gourd.
It is said that some accordions were also believed to have a reed. However, the history of the accordion remains a mystery and is debated even today. The accordion has undergone several experimentations and transformations across several decades to be what it is today.
Accordions are manufactured with different varieties and tunings. As a result, buying an accordion that will be best suited for you is not very easy process. This is because there are various factors that need to be taken into account while you are purchasing it, like the weight of the instrument, the genre of music that you would like to play and many other factors.
The following guidelines will make it easier for you to zero in on an accordion that is best suited to your requirements:
- Research on the internet regarding the types of accordions. Get in touch with your friends and family members who can play an accordion. This will give you an idea about the type of accordion that you should purchase. They may also be able to direct you about some of the reliable musical instrument stores in the place that you reside in.
- Visit various musical stores that sell accordions. Remember to mention that you are a beginner. It is best to rely on the judgement of the sales people regarding the type of accordion would be the best for a beginner. You can also request a friend or neighbour who is trained in playing an accordion to accompany you when you go to buy the instrument. If you want to go alone or don’t have any experienced person to accompany you, you can research on the internet, so that you get a fair idea about the price range of the instrument and the type of accordion that will be well-suited for you.
- Go to a music store, preferably accompanied by an experienced friend or neighbour. You can visit garage sales that may have an accordion on display. You can also visit flea markets that sell quality musical instruments at a good bargain. However, ensure that it is in good condition.
- Clarify all your doubts regarding then maintenance of the instrument. Ask the salesmen whether the instrument is in tune before you purchase it. If it isn’t, request them to tune it.
- If you plan to be a self-taught accordion player, ask for guide books that will assist you in learning how to play the instrument on your own. However, if you want to learn playing the instrument from a professional, you can ask the salesmen or your friends and acquaintance for contact numbers.
There are many music stores from where you can purchase an accordion. You can go for the Serenellini Accordion as they are considered to be suitable for both the professional accordionists and novice learners of this instrument.
Guest Author: Nicola is a renowned author. She can play several musical instruments and writes for several blogs regarding this subject. In this article, she has discussed some guidelines on how to purchase an accordion for a beginner.